Dear Dance Teachers,
We adore you. You help make dancers' dreams come true. You give them the tools to become phenomenal performers and capable human beings. You. Are. Wonderful.
It's because of our undying love and devotion that we feel the need to write to you today. As we approach another exciting year of dance classes, we want to remind you to take care of yourselves.
1. It's OK to say no to extra rehearsals that encroach on time set aside for your family, religion, physical health, mental health or self-care obligations.
2. It's OK to stand up to parents who don't respect you.
3. It's OK to take a sick day when you need it.
4. It's OK to see a therapist.
5. It's OK to say no to props (they're fab, but also, they might be your emotional demise, so be careful!).
6. It's OK to delegate.
7. It's OK to be honest and vulnerable with your students.
8. It's OK (and we can't emphasize this enough) to eat some chocolate when you need it.
In the end, you need to put the oxygen mask on yourselves before you can help anyone else. Prioritize yourself so you can be the very best teacher possibe this season.
We love you and are rooting for you!
All the best,
Your adoring fans