Laura Moretti, consulting dietitian at Boston Ballet, gives one of her favorite dinner recipes for dancers: avocado pasta.
"This recipe is excellent for dancers. Avocados are heart-healthy fats that help you absorb nutrients from food, are high in vitamin D, which encourages bone health, and are full of potassium to help with cramping and fluid regulation. Dance has an aerobic base, so the carbohydrates in this dish are essential for fuel. (You can replace white pasta with other varieties: lentil, whole wheat, gluten-free or black bean.)"
• 12 oz. spaghetti
• 4–6 oz. pre-cooked chicken (could substitute shrimp or salmon)
• 2 ripe avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
• 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
• 2 cloves garlic, peeled
• 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 1/3 cup olive oil
• 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well.
Combine avocados, basil, garlic and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor; season with salt and pepper to taste. With the motor running, add olive oil in a slow stream until emulsified; set aside.
In a large bowl, combine pasta, avocado sauce, cherry tomatoes and meat.