Here are a few ways to keep this major muscle group in check.
½ Happy Baby
This exercise gives a nice stretch to your pelvic floor, hamstrings and gluteus maximus muscles. It can be done with both legs at once, but stretching one at a time lets you tune in to the difference between your right and left side.
- Lie on your back with knees bent and feet flat on the floor.
- Bring your right knee toward your chest and reach for the outside of your right ankle or foot.
- Pull your leg out to the right and down toward your shoulder as if you were trying to pull your knee into your armpit. Keep your back flat on the floor and your weight evenly distributed. Don't let the opposite hip lift off the floor.
- Breathe deeply into your belly and imagine the breath going all the way to your pelvic floor.
- Hold the stretch for 30 seconds, then repeat on the other side. Do two sets each side.