Articles by Elizabeth McPherson
The legendary Soviet ballerina
The great prima ballerina Galina Ulanova bends her body near Bolshoi dancer Ekaterina Maximova during a coaching session in preparation for Giselle. With her eyes focused on her student, Ulanova gestures with … Continue reading
The Bennington School of the Dance
1) Who was the director of The Bennington School of the Dance?
2) What were the years of The Bennington School of the Dance?
3) Name 4 major choreographers of the time … Continue reading
The man behind the method
Descriptions of Joseph Hubertus Pilates (1883–1967) in the 1960s create a vivid picture: white mane of hair, bright blue eyes (one was glass), mahogany skin, barrel chest, dressed in small white … Continue reading
1. Why does Joseph Pilates’ method suit dancers so well?
2. Name 3 notable dancers who took class with him in New York City.
3. True or False: Throughout his childhood, Pilates observed natural movement in children … Continue reading
1. True or False: Anna Sokolow had her first encounter with dance during college.
2. Who were the two teachers that she studied under while on scholarship at the Neighborhood Playhouse?
3.What type of dancer did Sokolow … Continue reading