“Dancing with the Stars” Cast Announcement
Today on “Good Morning America,” the nation learned who we’ll be watching when “Dancing with the Stars” cha-chas its way back into our lives beginning March 18. Here’s the rundown of the lineup for Season 16:
The Safe Bets
They have dance or dance-ish experience and are used to picking up choreography and performing for a crowd.
• Aly Raisman, captain of the U.S. Women’s Gymnastics team. You may recall her parents’ reactions from the stands during the 2012 Olympics. (Will they behave similarly watching her dance? We can’t wait to find out!) Partner: Mark Ballas
• Figure skater Dorothy Hamill. She won gold in the 1976 Olympics, but does she still have what it takes? Partner: Tristan MacManus
• Zendaya Coleman, the 16-year-old star of the Disney Channel’s “Shake It Up!” She’s young, but she’s toured the world as an actress, singer and dancer, so no doubt she’ll be a fierce competitor. Partner: Val Chmerkovskiy
They’re strong, they’re fit, and they come to WIN.
• Jacoby Jones, wide receiver for 2013 Super Bowl champs, the Baltimore Ravens. He ran a record-setting 108 yards for that really long touchdown during the big game, so we know he has fast feet. Partner: Karina Smirnoff
• Victor “Vicious” Ortiz, a former boxing champion. He has the intimidation factor down pat. Plus, he’ll probably be a hard worker and impossible to keep down for long! Partner: newcomer Lindsay Arnold from “So You Think You Can Dance”(!)
Plenty of stage presence in front of the microphone, but will it translate to the dance floor?
• Kellie Pickler, that adorable country singer from “American Idol,” Season 5. Sure to be an audience favorite. Partner: Derek Hough
• Country music star Wynonna Judd, known for her family act, The Judds, with her mother. Partner: Tony Dovolani
The Wild Cards
We’ve never imagined them as dancers, but they just might surprise us!
• Comedian Andy Dick. He used to have his own show, and he recently made appearances on Community and Two Broke Girls.
Partner: Sharna Burgess, new this season
• Uh oh…Lisa Vanderpump from “The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.” Bring on the drama! Partner: Gleb Savchenko, a transplant from “DWTS Australia”
• D.L. Hughley, a standup comedian and one of The Original Kings of Comedy. Partner: Cheryl Burke
• Ingo Rademacher, a soap opera actor, known best for his role as “Jax” on “General Hospital.” Money’s on him for the sultry, romantic dances like the tango and rhumba. Partner: Kym Johnson
And the official DT early prediction for the Mirror Ball Trophy winner goes to…drum roll, please…Aly Raisman. Gymnasts seem to be built for success on this show. A little fearlessness, strength and choreography experience goes a long way!
Photo courtesy ABC