History Quiz: Frankie Manning
1. How did Frankie Manning transform Lindy hop?
2. What was the name of the Harlem ballroom that housed Lindy hop?
3. Though Manning staged many of the dances his group performed, who’s name identified their troupes?
4. True or False: Manning appeared at the Moulin Rouge in Paris.
5. True or False: Manning learned the Lindy hop in his third grade gym class.
6. True or False: the Lindy hoppers were featured performers at clubs, on Broadway, and in films.
7. Where did Manning serve during World War II?
8. After the war, where did Manning work for three decades?
9. Which swing dancer is credited with reviving Manning’s interest in swing and teaching?
10. Beginning in 1994, what annual event is celebrated by the swing dance community?
1. He created the first aerial step and developed Lindy hop ensemble dancing.; 2. The Savoy Ballroom; 3. Herbert “Whitey” White. He was a Savoy bouncer who booked Lindy hoppers to perform under the names Witey’s Lindey Hoppers, Whyte’s Hopping Maniacs and Whitey Congeroo Dancers.; 4. True; 5. False: He was a self-taught dancer who first encountered Lindy hop at New York City’s Alhambra Ballroom.; 6. False: They were opening acts.; 7. The South Pacific; 8. The General Post Office in Manhattan; 9. Erin Stevens; 10. Manning’s birthday.